Strengthening Protection for all ages – legislative reform
|Read our recommendations for legislative reform|
OTHER RELEVANT POLICY WORK (explain)
We are reviewing equality schemes in the context of age (action plans and inequalities audits)
Age strategy inputs
Older people´s strategy
Younger people´s strategy
EU Accessibility strategy
AGE DISCRIMINATION BACKGROUND
Why are changes needed? (explain)
The changes we recommend will:
- help to address the inequalities facing people of different ages in Northern Ireland when accessing goods, facilities and services
- ensure that Northern Ireland age equality legisiation keeps pace with proposed changes in legislation due to take effect in Great Britain in October 2012.
- ensure parity with protection against unlawful discrimination when accessing goods and services which exists on other equality grounds.
- Further the overarching aims and objectives of the Executive’s Older Persons Strategy – Ageing in an Inclusive society
- Help ensure that Northern Ireland age equality legislation complies with the anticipated requirements of the draft European Commission Directive on the provision of goods and services.
What equality protection currently exists in relation to age? (explain)
What equality protection is provided in other jurisdictions in relation to age? (explain)