Traveller Focus Week 3 - 7 December
The Equality Commission for Northern Ireland, in partnership with An Munia Tober Travellers Centre, has organised a Traveller Focus Week from 3 - 7 December 2007 for the first time in Northern Ireland.
Through consultation with Traveller support groups, we are confident that the range of activities we have identified will help ensure that the aims for the week are achieved. In summary, these are:
- To raise public awareness of the Traveller Community in Northern Ireland, the issues within the community, difficulties faced and challenges ahead.
- To inform target groups of the role and responsibility of the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland and key stakeholders, including Traveller Support Organisations, NGOs and Government bodies.
- To celebrate and reinforce the validity of the Traveller Community, marking the 10th anniversary of the Race Relations Order 1997.
- To progress and develop strategic partnerships between key stakeholders supporting the capacity building of the Traveller Community.
- To maximise Traveller Community participation in discussing issues affecting their community and to develop solutions to be taken forward.
The theme for Traveller Focus Week is Inclusion. Each day of the week will focus on Traveller inclusion in different aspects of society.
For the first time the week has a North-South dimension and the programme reflects this cross-border cooperation with events taking place across the island from Mayo to Dublin, Waterford to Omagh and in many other towns and cities. Please click on the following links to access a calendar of events.
For more details on this week in the north of Ireland contact Lisa McDonagh at An Munia Tober, telephone 028 90 438265 or the Equality Commission´s enquiry line 02890 890 890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For events in the south of Ireland visit www.itmtrav.ie or telephone 0035316 796577